Our mission is to foster and promote community development programs within urban communities. In addition, we are a conduit for agencies, churches and corporations to contribute to the betterment of their community.
Due to the grassroots nature of the work we do, we have become an important community service referral point for residents within the communities we service. Urban Alliance is the parent organization for Vanguard Street Ministry, Jesus Loves Kalamazoo and His Kingdom Housing.
Over the past year at Urban Alliance we have:
- Fed Over 1600 meals to inner city residents in Kalamazoo MI.
- Served 600 individuals in Homeless Shelter & Juvenile Home Ministry in Kalamazoo MI.
- Started new ministry initiatives in Miami, FL and Benton Harbor, MI.
- Increased ministry capacity in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Purchased and rehabilitated 2 homes in the inner city of Kalamazoo MI.
- Completed a block transformation project installing light posts and white picket fencing to over 15 homes.
- Partnered with Media Arts Academy to train more than 40 students in media arts and social justice.
- Undergone significant management restructuring and strategic business plan overhaul.
In the next 12 months we plan to:
- Significantly increase the capacity of the organization to service its current and future constituents.
- Extend our housing rehab program significantly in the Edison neighborhood of Kalamazoo.
- Build a strong web and social media presence.
- Greatly increase the promotion of the organization to individuals, organizations and foundations as well as state and federal governments.
- Expand our work in Kalamazoo and plan for expansion in our other sites (Benton Harbor, Miami, FL and Freetown, Sierra Leone).
- Commence a unique ‘Employment Opportunities’ initiative serving under resourced at-risk residents.